Las Cumbres Observatory (LCO) is operating and upgrading a global network of more than 20 robotic telescopes. The telescopes and instruments, located at 7 world class observatories around the globe, are used for astronomical research and educational outreach.
We are seeking an Instrumentation Engineer to join our engineering team. The engineering team is in charge of the maintenance and new developments for our telescopes and instrumentation, and often works with our international site partners. Our work spans a variety of disciplines including electronics, optics, CCD camera maintenance, robotic control, high-performance servo systems, and embedded microprocessor applications. Each member of our small engineering team is involved in many aspects of observatory operations.
● Lead maintenance tasks for a fleet of CCD cameras (in particular cryosystems consisting of Cryotiger coolers and vacuum system infrastructure).
● Assemble and repair instrument and telescope components throughout the LCO telescope fleet.
● Participate in instrumentation development and upgrade projects.
● Participate in site maintenance campaigns.
● Support other LCO activities as needed.
● B.S. or equivalent experience in Mechanical / Electrical / Optical Engineering / Physics or related fields.
● 2 years of general engineering experience, including experience in vacuum system maintenance.
● Be self-directed, a team-player, and motivated to succeed in a fast paced and dynamic environment .
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially via email and other remote communication tools such as Slack and Zoom.
● Ability to quickly learn assembly and maintenance methods and how to read and understand engineering drawings, including electrical schematics.
● Maintenance of cryo systems.
● Experience with ESD and clean-room procedures.
● Familiarity with a reasonable range of mechanical, electrical, construction, and carpentry tools.
● Ability to work effectively in a complex software environment, including utilization of testing scripts in a Unix environment.
● Able to lift 50 pounds, climb ladders and occasionally work at high elevation.
● Authorized to work in the US.
● Able and willing to travel internationally without restrictions (approximately 6 weeks per year, plus or minus - COVID limitations permitting).
This is a full-time, salaried position based in Goleta, CA. We are welcoming applicants at junior and senior experience levels.
Applicants please submit a resume and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is October 15, 2021.
LCO offers a competitive salary, great vacation time, and generous benefits.
LCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively engaged in building and nurturing a culture that is welcoming and inclusive of people from diverse backgrounds with regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability and veteran status.