Code of Conduct for Global Sky Partners Community
The Global Sky Partners community is made up of members from around the globe with a diverse set of skills, personalities, and experiences. It is through these differences that our community experiences success and continued growth. We expect everyone in our community to follow these guidelines when interacting with others both inside and outside of our community. Our goal is to keep ours a positive, inclusive, successful, and growing community.
As members of the community,
- We pledge to treat all people with respect and provide a harassment- and bullying-free environment, regardless of sex, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, nationality, ethnicity, and religion. In particular, sexual language and imagery, sexist, racist, or otherwise exclusionary jokes are not appropriate.
- We pledge to respect the work of others by recognizing acknowledgment/citation requests of original authors.
- We pledge to welcome those interested in joining the community, and realize that including people with a variety of opinions and backgrounds will only serve to enrich our community. Discussions relating to pros/cons of various educational strategies, technologies, and so on are welcome, and these should be done with respect, taking proactive measures to ensure that all participants are heard and feel confident that they can freely express their opinions.
- We pledge to welcome questions and answer them respectfully, paying particular attention to those new to the community. We pledge to provide respectful criticisms and feedback in forums.
- We pledge to treat those outside our community with the same respect as people within our community.
- We pledge to help the entire community follow the code of conduct, and to not remain silent when we see violations of the code of conduct. We will take action when members of our community violate this code such as talking privately with the person or contacting one of the code of conduct champions..
This code of conduct applies to all community situations online and offline, including Slack, mailing lists, forums, social media, conferences, meetings, associated social events, and one-to-one interactions.
Any individual related to a Global Sky Partner program may contact one or both of the Code of Conduct Champions. All emails sent to the champions will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The following examples of inappropriate behavior are intended to be guidelines and are not exclusive when determining whether there has been a violation of this policy:
- Verbal harassment includes comments that are offensive or unwelcome regarding a person's nationality, origin, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, body, disability or appearance, including epithets, slurs, and negative stereotyping.
- Nonverbal harassment includes distribution, display, or discussion of any written or graphic material that ridicules, denigrates, insults, belittles, or shows hostility, aversion, or disrespect toward an individual or group because of national origin, race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, appearance, disability, sexual identity, marital or other protected status.
Anyone requested to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- Offenders may be asked to leave the Global Sky Partners and those who are found to have violated the code of conduct will be ineligible to apply to future proposal rounds.
- Champions may contact the host institution of the offender to report the behavior.
If members consider our code of conduct to be too stringent, they should notify the champions immediately. We are transparent with our expectations and feel that they reflect the best-practice recommendations for creating inclusive environments.
Any related activity or project organized by members of the Global Sky Partners community are welcome to have their own codes of conduct, and agree to also abide by the present code of conduct.
Parts of this code of conduct have been adapted from the AstroPy and PSF codes of conduct.
Creative Commons License
The Global Sky Partners Community Code of Conduct is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. We encourage other communities related to ours to use or adapt this code as they see fit.