Las Cumbres Observatory is pleased to announce that we are accepting applications for new educational partners, Global Sky Partners, with projects to run between 1 August 2022 - 31 July 2023.
Do you have an idea for a project using robotic telescopes
We are looking for people and groups with interesting, engaging, and innovative ideas for educational projects in astronomy. We are particularly interested in programs that will provide science engagement through astronomy for underserved populations anywhere in the world. If you have a really good idea that you think is appropriate for LCO, we will be happy to discuss that possibility with you and even help you get your project started.
For more information about the current and past partners, please see our Global Sky Partners pages.
If you run a school-based astronomy club and you have some experience in astronomy, consider joining our new Global Sky Clubs program. This is open to teachers, school lab tech's or anyone else running an astronomy club in a school.
We are looking for:
- Projects that make use of LCO’s unique capabilities, which include our global network of telescopes and scheduling software. Projects which involve monitoring of astronomical events or following up on recent astronomical discoveries are particularly suitable.
- Projects targeting underserved audiences. This can be in the developing world, or under-resourced communities in the developed world that are not typically engaged by main-stream programs.
- Formal or informal education projects. Projects are not limited to ones directly related to school curriculum. Original research projects involving students and purely science communication projects are also of great interest.
How to apply
Application and reporting process
- Please read the application guidance notes below
- Complete our online application form (you will need to register for a free LCO Observing Portal account)
- Application deadline is 23:00 UTC on 12 June 2022
- Proposals will be reviewed by a panel of astronomy and astronomy education experts during June 2022
- Announcement of education partners by 1 July 2022
- Projects will be allocated observing time for use between 1 August 2022 - 31 July 2023
- You will be required to submit a short report on the progress of your project by 1 February 2023 and a final report by 1 August 2023.
Full guidance on writing a proposal can be found in our Becoming a Global Sky Partner web page.
For advice on whether your idea or project would fit into the Global Sky Partner program, please contact Edward Gomez (LCO Education Director).