A 2-day workshop in Leiden Observatory, 18–19 April 2016. The purpose of this meeting is to explore the Las Cumbres Observatory Global Telescope Network (LCOGT), and how this unique resource can be used for science education:
- to enhance existing education programmes,
- to create new educational opportunities,
- to inspire people with an interest in astronomy to undertake science investigations.
LCOGT provides access to 17 research telescopes, distributed at 6 top astronomical sites around the world. LCOGT operates as a single scientific instrument, allowing you to focus on making discoveries without worrying about the observing process.
Is this for you?
We are looking for people who would be willing to experiment with using LCOGT in existing programmes and projects, or are interested in creating new ones.
This workshop is for you if:
- you work with students, teachers or other educators,
- you create or run science education projects or programmes,
- you have ideas about using robotic telescopes to inspire kids (even if you are not involved in other projects),
- you are a scientist with an exciting research project which could involve students working with data from LCOGT.
We are particularly interested if you have a large and ambitious programme you would like to undertake using LCOGT.
We still have some places left so please register if you would like to attend.
We will be in the Huygens Laboratory of the Leiden Observatatory for both days of the meeting, on the second floor. Please enter through the main doors, and take the main lifts up to the second floor.
- Monday will be held in room 204
- 09.30 Registration
- 10.00 Workshop begins
- Tuesday will be held in room 207
Please see the workshop programme page for more details.
Each workshop attendee will be given 5 hours of observing time on the 1-metre network, to try out prototype projects. We also welcome applications for a larger amounts of time for educational projects.
All attendees are invited to a workshop dinner at 7pm on the evening on Monday 18 April, sponsored by LCOGT. The venue is Oudt Leyden pancake house.